Tuesday, June 16, 2009

addressing the situation

When I lived in Mexico, I owned a big, safe, concrete home. I lived alone. I rarely locked my gate. I always felt safe. It was a tiny island, with very little crime, only occasional petty theft and domestic violence. It was a refuge for me. My happy place. My comfort zone. My paradise. Before moving there full time as a homeowner, I vacationed there in the winter months like all of the other touristas. I wore cute little sarongs and barely there bikinis. I sipped sunset margaritas and sunrise tequilas. I lounged on the beach with cabana boys nearby. I did yoga in the morning and tango at night. But when I became a resident, my experience changed dramatically. There were walls to paint, roofs to repair, tenacos ( water holding tank) to replace and small bills to pay. But I still lived in paradise, and I still felt safe. It was a wonderful life, and I have no regrets. Now I am here in Texas, loving my life and feeling safe again. I live in a tiny town with no crime, the sarongs are packed away, and I rarely lock my door. My new friends I have met thru the artful blogland are passionate about their causes and I am on board with this one. This is an invitation for you to express your care and concern thru a piece of art. Paint. Sew. Bead. Photograph. No matter what....we all love to play "dress up" Go HERE to discover how you can help. ART SAVES LIVES Monica is a Rock Star when it comes to passion so thanks to her for lighting a fire under this project! You can also click on the icon to the right of this post

5 comments:

Pocket Full of Prettys said...

Hi Deb, when I read your blog I realized that you have been visiting with my best friend the Funky Art Queen, AKA:Lesley. Isn't she a hoot! Anyway wanted to let you know that you won the courthouse giveaway on my blog. You had 2 of the courthouses named correctly. Send me your address & I will send you the prize. PS--I've been to Carmine and Round Top once, would love to go again in September. Take Care, Renea

beth said...

thanks for all your kind words and now I'm off to check out "art saves lives"

girlgonethreadwild said...

Deb, I just love learning more about you through your blog!

Your art POPS right out and begs to be noticed (even in the darkness, I'd spot YOUR LIGHT).

Your art & photography shows such a focus on LIFE.. I never walk away untouched by your generosity of spirit!

ART ON!

xo, monica :)

girlgonethreadwild said...

(psst.. happy to be creating alongside wonderful YOU)

I knows what we are doing is such a small thing. Hopefully in NUMBERS our art will provoke S&C to want to write an article about this.

*fingers crossed*

Teteel said...

Hellow , Deb. I found your blog recently. I like it very much. You are a person full of passion, for art, for hapiness, for love, for life...I'll read you. Salutes from Athens , Greece.