Monday, November 2, 2009

shadows, past lives and right now

As the Dia de Los Muertos holiday comes to a close, I am pondering the following quote by Victor Landa ~In our tradition, people die three deaths. The first death is when our bodies cease to function; when our hearts no longer beat of their own accord, when our gaze no longer has a depth or weight, when the space we occupy slowly loses its meaning. The second death comes when the body is lowered into the ground, returned to mother earth, out of sight. The third death, the most definitive death, is when there is no one left alive to remember us~ As I continue to reinvent my life, beliefs and practices, this philosophy rings so true to me. I have always sensed that I had a previous life during the era of "Little House on the Prairie" Those sappy scenes of log cabin fires, quilting by hand, dipping candles and canning summer harvest seemed so familiar to me, like I have already done this before. Is this why I love to sew by hand, cook, and be such a Home Chick? Is this why I loved living in the woods, canoeing, gardening? Is it why I had such a serious crush on Chuck Conners, the Rifle Man? Anyway, back to Victors quote...I have experienced the first 2 stages of death, with friends and family, but now it is my sincere desire to continue to honor those who have gone before me in a celebratory fashion such as the Mexican tradition of Day of the Dead. Yes, I used to be like you.....not understanding the fancy dressed skeletons dancing among the flowers. But now I "get it" for It is a joyful event we invite the spirit of our loved ones to come visit us...we throw a party for them, we prepare their favorite foods, play their favorite music and light candles and gather marigolds to light their way to us. We share stories, we cry, we laugh. we are here, we miss you. Come play with us. My photos are just a rambling view of lately, and of course the shrine in progress for The Oaxaca Street Children Grassroots Shrine Auction

Thank you Rebecca, Susanna and Stephanie for your efforts, time, love and passion to include us in this celebration of L-I-F-E!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You've been very reflective lately... it's good for the soul, isn't it?

stregata said...

Love the glimpses - your photos are stunning as always.

Unknown said...

Beautiful...I am reading Eliot Pattison...he writes about Tibet, this reminded me of his books.

you might like his work...